2008-12-29

Fun of book search

‘When people are united by a common love of books, the transaction between salesperson and customer can become one of life’s more memorable experience, perhaps not in large bookshops but certainly in the smaller, independent bookshops.’(Left Bank Waltz--Elaine Lewis)

I like to search second-hand books through many little bookshops. When I live in Narwee, there is a second-hand bookshop owned by an elder Australian man, Mick. He has great favor of books. Even when he has cancer, he never stops working and reading. He said he sleep for 4 hours a day and spends times mainly in reading.

I can’t read as crazy as him. But I really admire his passion about reading. So I often go to his bookshop to chat with him or help him do some simple work. He is so generous to give me great discount to buy books, sometimes for free.

With his help I buy some good books, like April Fool’s Day by Bryce Courteney, Sgarlett, a sequel written by Alexandra Ripley. I become interested in Australian books and decide to read more in the future.

Several months later, I move to Arncliffe, and start a new experience of book search. There is a local second-hand item shop run by several elder ladies. The revenue they gain will go to the charity or church. Lots of second-hand books are sold at very low price, sometimes 1 dollar each, sometimes 1 dollar a bag! I have caught a large book sale in the early December and have brought 34 books for 3 dollars!

It is crazy! After buying so many books, I start to read them every week and share my opinion with my family and friends.

I will continue my book search in my life. A booklover will never say there are too much books!

没有评论:

发表评论